SQ21: Singapore Queers in the 21st Century
  • by Ng Yi-Sheng, published by Oogachaga, available from all major bookstores in Singapore and Fridae.com
  • Monday, August 28, 2006

    Parliamentary influence

    I received the following e-mail from Leow Yangfa, who's one of the chirpiest guys I know and one of the intevriewees in SQ21.

    hi all !

    some of you may remember Dr Lim Wee Kiak [pictured to our right], the newly elected MP for Sembawang GRC but more infamously of the comment:

    "I'm a doctor and I do not think that homosexuality is natural." [click here for more background.]

    well some of you may also know that he's a family friend of mine, & we met at a family function today, Sunday. thought I'd give him a personalised present, & this is how it went:

    Me: "Hi Dr Lim, congratulations! & here's a thank you gift, for attending to my both dad & my aunt recently."

    WK: (looks surprised) Oh thank you! What is it?

    Me: It's a book for you (WK sees book title: "SQ21 -Singapore Queers in the 21st Century"), I hope it will open up your eyes to new perspectives.

    WK: Oh thank you! (still looking surprised)

    At the bottom of my photo on page 186, I had also autographed the following personalised message:

    "Dear Dr Lim Wee Kiak,

    These are real life stories of real people, and all natural. I should know, because I’m a social worker. Enjoy! Yangfa, 23/08/06"

    now beat that for positive action! heh.

    & I can't wait to see you all again at Borders on
    Saturday.

    Yangfa

    -how badass is that? :) ¡Viva la revolución!

    0 Comments:

    Post a Comment

    << Home